Anyway, if you do wish to roll back to stock Samsung firmware, then the process is quite easy. All you need is your phone, a PC, USB cable, stock ROM, and the Odin flash tool. Once you have all these, you can follow the steps below how to Install Stock Firmware on Samsung devices using Odin Tool. You can also Install TWRP Recovery by following this same guide
Benefits of stock firmware
Back To Stock: If you wish to go back to stock on your Samsung device, simply installing a firmware using Odin will do it.
Update: Installing a firmware with newer Android version or build no. is the easiest way to update your Samsung Galaxy device manually, without waiting for the OTA update, or when OTA fails you.
Unbrick: If your Galaxy device is not starting properly, and is stuck in the bootloop situation and thus rebooting after should the logo, then installing a firmware will fix that too. It serves as a good fix for soft-bricked devices.
Unroot, etc.: Well, you can easily unroot your device by installing the stock firmware. This will also remove custom recovery (like TWRP, CWM, Cyanogen, PhilZ, etc.), custom kernel, etc. stuff, as all partitions are installed with Samsung’s default respective images.
Basic Requirements and Important Points :
- The guide for installing a firmware only for all Samsung Galaxy devices.
- Samsung USB Drivers must be installed on your PC.
- Download Odin Flash Tool and extract it on your Desktop
- Your Samsung mobile should be charged at least up to 50%. Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding
- Enable USB debugging (Go to Settings> About Device. Scroll down to find Build number and tap it 7 times. You will see a toast message that “Developer mode has been enabled” on your device.)
- Enable OEM unlock in developer option (if you device have this setting).
Installing an official firmware through Odin doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but it remains an unofficial process and thus you need to be cautious of it. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Download Samsung Stock Firmware
Odin-flashable firmware is available all over the internet via various renowned sources. We have listed a few of them here. You can simply search the index for your device model and download the desired stock ROM/firmware for your region/carrier.
Do not download a firmware for different device/variant/carrier. Only flash compatible firmware meant explicitly for your Samsung Galaxy device
How to Install Stock Firmware on Samsung devices using Odin
Step 1: Extract the downloaded firmware .zip file in the folder where you extracted odin tool, you can use a free software like 7-zip for this. You should get the a file in .tar.md5 format now. (You may get 4 or 5 files, with AP, CP or CSC written at the beginning of those files.) We will be loading this file into Odin.
- If you want to flash a custom recovery like TWRP, you need either .tar or .tar.md5 extension file in .zip
Step 2: Boot into download mode: Power off your device. Wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off. Press and hold the three buttons Volume down + Power + Home together until you see Warning screen. Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
Step 3: Double click on Odin exe file and Connect your device now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your device. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue
- If you don’t get Added!! message, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with device. You can try different USB ports on your PC too.
Step 4: Load the firmware file into Odin. Click the AP button on Odin and the select the .tar.md5 file. In case you got a multi-file firmware with AP, BL, CP, CSC, and .PIT files, you must add the firmware components to corresponding slots in Odin. Make sure Re-partition check box is NOT selected, under the Options tab
Step 5: Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the firmware on your device.Wait till installation is finished, after which your device will reboot automatically. You’ll get PASS message.
- The device is not detected by Odin/COM port doesn’t lighten up : Make sure that you Kies is disabled and you have properly installed Samsung USB drivers. If even that doesn’t work, try using a different cable or switch between the USB ports on the PC.
- ‘FAIL!’ message in Odin : This could be due to multiple reasons. You may not be using the correct firmware/Odin tool, or the USB connection could be faulty. Simply force shutdown the device and refollow the procedure.
- Bootloop/doesn’t go past the Samsung logo : In case you face a bootloop after the installation or any other software misbehavior, simply reboot into the stock recovery and perform a factory data reset. To do so, power off the device first. Then hold the Volume Up + Home/Bixby + Power keys altogether for a few seconds. On the ‘No command’ screen, hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up key once. Once in stock recovery, select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ button and confirm
If you have any questions, leave them down in the comments